What are Paralegals
A “paralegal” is an individual qualified through education, training or work experience, who is employed or whose services have been retained by a legal professional, law firm, governmental agency, private or public corporation or other entity in a capacity or function which involves the performance, under the supervision of a legal professional, of substantive legal work, which may include administrative or managerial duties, requiring sufficient knowledge of legal concepts.
Paralegal qualifications include:
- Completion of an approved legal services program in Ontario
- Successful completion of the Law Society’s Paralegal Licensing Process, including Licensing Examinations.
- While lawyers can represent you in all legal matters, paralegals are licensed to provide certain specified legal services.
When should I use a paralegal?
You may choose to have a paralegal represent you in:
- Small claims court
- Traffic court for charges under the Provincial Offences Act
- Tribunals, such as the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Minor criminal charges under the Criminal Code heard in the Ontario Court of Justice.
The Law Society has created Lawyers and Paralegals: Helping You With Your Legal Needs, a brochure to help guide you in choosing a lawyer or paralegal to meet your legal needs.
SDG Paralegal Services is a fully licensed and insured legal firm located in Cornwall and servicing Eastern Ontario.
In the challenging world of legal services, we strive to insure results and client satisfaction in a cost-effective manner without excluding the personal attention, fair and professional service clients appreciate. We are committed to ensuring our clients thoroughly understand the process of their matters.
Sound legal advice backed by experience.
With years of experience in the area of advocacy and politics plus investigative journalism, Denis Sabourin has directed the skills obtained from first hand involvement to a new venture, that of a licensed paralegal in Ontario. Operating under the business name of SDG Paralegal Services, Denis Sabourin is assisting clients in Cornwall and throughout a large part of Eastern Ontario by offering a full range of legal services.
Geographic area served
Cornwall, Alexandria, Morrisburg, L’Orginal, Hawkesbury, Ottawa, Brockville, Kingston, Napanee, Belleville, Kemptville, Smiths Falls, Perth and Renfrew.
More about Denis Sabourin
- A former investigative journalist who covered major stories across Canada
- A senior political assistant with 19 plus years experience working on Parliament Hill
- A licensed paralegal who uses his advocacy skills to assist you in your best interest.
Memberships & Associations
- March 2013 to Present Law Society of Ontario (formerly the Law Society of Upper Canada)
- Ontario Paralegal Association 2011 to present
- County of Carleton Law Association 2015 to present.
About Denis’ work
I was nervous about the whole prospect of going to court and being sued for something I was not responsible for. Denis reviewed my information, made me feel at ease and negotiated a settlement that I was very pleased with.
– Former Client*
I was upset with my previous representation, Denis listened carefully to my story and was able to have the employer pay me what I was owed.
– Former Client*
*We’ve removed the names to retain the privacy and confidentiality of our clients.